Summer is almost over. In the US, we can experience extreme weather conditions – from summer heatwaves to winter frost. In the last year, The United States had its coldest February in more than 30 years. Tomorrow is supposed to be mind-numbingly cold. We need to get out heavy winter coats.
Did you know that the bulldog is very sensitive to cold weather? He hates winter as much as you do because of his short fur and large heat dissipation area, which makes him very intolerant of the cold.
So how should you find a warm coat for your bulldog? Fortunately, you’ve come to the right place. In this buyer’s guide, we’ll share information about the best dog coats for french bulldogs.
Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. This means if you click on the link & purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission at no extra cost to you.
10 Best Dog Coats for Winter
Best Overall: Kuoser Reversible Plaid Dog Coat
“Overall, I like this jacket. It’s pretty, fits well, and seems warm enough for fall/early winter temps. My bulldog has very short fur, so on very cold days (less than 20 degrees Fahrenheit or so), I think she needs to wear a snowsuit and boots or something. This reversible dog coat keeps her warm while still looking stylish. Plaid is always on-trend.”
- Water resistant outer layer.
- Adjustable Velcro closure on the neck and chest.
- Super soft fleece inner layer.
- Package Dimensions : 11.26 x 9.45 x 2.44 inches; 3.2 Ounces
- Seems good quality. The stitching is nice, and the materials are soft.
- Waterproof – kept light snow from going through it
- Bright red is beautiful, actual red color.
- Keeps my pup warm in snowy weather. Basing this on him not shivering on our walk as he did a week ago!
- Sizing is spot on if you measure correctly and follow the sizing chart.
- If your dog is a magician and takes off his/her coat, this one would be hard to get off. The Velcro at the neck and belly is powerful and wide.
- The Velcro is somewhat adjustable to allow for fit. It fits snugly and doesn’t slip around.
- Note that this is not a sweater to wear around the house. It’s a coat.
- The fabric and construction seem like they will hold up. Not cheap.
- It covers the chest and some of the bellies underneath for warmth.
- Not for Pitbulls with a large chest.
- The belly flaps almost cover boy parts, making it difficult to pee.
Best Sports: Ruffwear Powder Hound Insulated
The Ruffwear Powder Hound is a hybrid jacket that offers the warmth of synthetic insulation with the range of motion of the technical stretch fabric. This weather-resistant and packable insulated jacket are ideal for cold-weather activities. A sleeved-style coat provides full coverage for maximum warmth. A convenient zipper on the left side of the jacket allows for a high-performance fit.
- Hybrid jacket.
- Weather resistant.
- Sleeved style.
- Performance fit.
- Reflective trim.
- The large was a perfect fit for my 90 lbs, very muscular bulldog. He stays warm and happy.
- Warm quilted top area combined with a stretchy thermal belly panel and short arm sleeves
- This brand and style is perfect for dogs with a deeper chest than others.
- Side zipper makes it easy to put on/take off
- Awesome comfort for your dogs in cold winter weather!
- Great jacket and size is spot on excellent. Sleves are a comfortable spandex material that’s not too tight.
- It’s important to mention the excellent customer service this company has.
- The underside is made of a thinner material
- The sleeves may chafe dogs legs
Best Fashion: Carhartt Duck Insulated Dog Chore Coat
A quality product is perfect for bulldogs. It won’t protect your dog from freezing temperatures, but it will keep them dry and does help. It is not as high quality as human Carhart items, it sticks up like a ducktail when the dog bends over, and it is better quality than many other coats. All in all, I would recommend this coat, but please make sure the size is correct as I see many dogs wearing ill-fitting coats.
- A functional coat.
- High quality.
- Durable jacket.
- The Velcro straps are nice and wide.
- Solid and high-quality stitching and ruggedness predict a long life.
- Convenient pockets on the side for special treats.
- This jacket is so easy to put on. The velcro is broad, and it goes on and off quickly.
- A tough canvas material and will probably last forever.
- It’s sporty, keeps him warm & dry, and it looks perfect.
- The outer coat material doesn’t stick to pricker bushes.
- Will be great for camping and hiking in wet Texas winters!
- Good looking but runs short.
- The outer coat material is quite stiff.
- It doesn’t have a hole for a leash.
- The collar attracts fur like no other, so you have to wipe it off after each use of your dog is a shedder.
Most Affordable: Vecomfy Fleece Lining Extra Warm Dog Hoodie in Winter
This is a wonderful vest for winter!
- Lightweight, durable, fashion design, exquisite sewing, leash hole in neck.
- Easy put on and take off by snaps.
- Elastics edges of foot & waist.
- Package Dimensions : 7.7 x 4.8 x 1.8 inches; 3.2 Ounces
- lightweight, warm, adorable, sturdy buttons, machine washable.
- Nice jacket for the price.
- This coat is very nice, and it will keep Bulldog warm on those chilly walks in NYC.
- It’s just not as Red as pictured. The color is more of a Burgundy or Wine, but I guess those are shades of Red.
- Runs small, isn’t long enough to cover the whole back. Best to purchase a larger size than you would normally.
- Being that it is cotton, the ‘water resistance’ is nil.
Best Adventure: Kurgo Dog Jacket Reversible Winter Jacket for Dogs
The coat is lightweight and not heavily padded and puffy, so it easily hangs up or stuffs away in the closet.
- Reversible, Reflective, & Adjustable.
- Water Resistant & Lightweight.
- Wear With Harness.
- Package Dimensions : 13.5 x 18.5 x 0.25 inches; 3.2 Ounces
- Lightweight, adjustable, easy on
- Bright colors that help him be visible
- When the dog puts his head down to sniff something, the vest pops up and doesn’t keep his back covered.
- As others have noted, the nylon isn’t all that robust and doesn’t do much to stop a rip from progressing.
- Many buyers say that the material is only mildly water-resistant.
- There’s a thin line of reflective material around the zipper on the back. It’s not super noticeable, however.
Best for Small Dogs: Gooby Padded Vest Dog Jacket
Providing insulation, water resistance, and wind protection for small dogs to medium-sized dogs, meaning Gooby’s largest size will fit a dog around 32 lbs. For accurate sizing please measure your pup’s chest size and reference the Gooby size chart.
- Water Resistant and Lightweight.
- Thick Padded Dog Clothes For Small Dogs.
- Pain-Free Zipper Guard.
- Bottom Opening Design.
- Fleece Lining and Dual D-Ring Leash.
- Package Dimensions : 12.5 x 10 x 2 inches; 6.4 Ounces
- No potty issues either the way it’s cut out underneath for a male dog, unlike most pet coats & sweaters.
- This coat is thick and warm, and because it’s waterproof on the bottom as well as the top (as opposed to the stretchy cloth across the chest) is suitable for snow.
- Some reviewers say that the sizing chart is a little confusing.
Best Function: ThunderShirt Sport Dog Anxiety Jacket
ThunderShirt helps to take the “PET” out of “Petrified”! Dogs can be anxious or fearful for many reasons: thunderstorms, fireworks, travel, vet visits, separation anxiety, and more. By applying gentle pressure around the torso, like a comforting and continuous hug, the ThunderShirt helps to calm and reduce anxiety in over 80% of dogs. From a Chihuahua to a Great Dane, millions of dogs have already been helped by the calming effects of the ThunderShirt.
- Help Your Dog Stay Calm During Thunderstorms.
- Fireworks Smireworks.
- Say Goodbye to Travel Anxiety.
- Help Ease Separation Anxiety.
- Package Dimensions : 10.71 x 6.65 x 2.13 inches; 8 Ounces
- Great airflow, which helps with staying cool.
- Calming aid and Great Material.
- An absolute must-have for any pet owners with anxious dogs!
- Unbelievably effective, from a former skeptic.
- The size guide is accurate, but it is adjustable around the front neck/chest area and the belly area, so it can adjust to be looser or tighter.
- The velcro got a lot of her fur stuck in it, and it wasn’t easy to get out.
- Didn’t work for a naturally fearful dog.
Cutest: JoyDaog Fleece Lined Warm Dog Jacket for Puppy
“This is the only thing my 18-pound French bulldog doesn’t try to wiggle out of. I think it’s good that it is sort of sleeveless so it doesn’t constrict her movement. It is VERY soft inside, the inside lining is fuzzy and warm. It’s done a great job keeping her warm on walks. I do turn the very back up, I just fold it a little bit so the flap doesn’t cover her bum while she’s doing her business. It’s also so cute I can’t stand it.”
- Soft, comfortable, lightweight.
- Warm and windproof.
- Leash hole on the back.
- Metal snaps.
- Elastic Edges.
- Package Dimensions : 11.1 x 7.64 x 2.17 inches; 2.89 Ounces
- It’s very basic/simple. This jacket was not embarrassing when you take her out in public
- It’s super soft, and you may like the lining.
- Do a good job of keeping bulldog warm.
- The outside is waterproof, and the inside is a fuzzy fleece.
- Snaps are kind of weak.
- The material is literally cheap fabric that might be ripped if you have long nails and other dog tries to play with your dog wearing it.
- The buttons are easy to snap underneath his chest.
- The harness loophole is too small for the harness loops to come out (leash clip has to go in), but that might keep him warmer.
Best Reflective: Queenmore Cold Weather Dog Coats
- Water Resistant.
- Reflective Stripe.
- Reversible Dog Coat.
- Package Dimensions : 11.22 x 7.48 x 2.36 inches; 3.21 Ounces
- The jacket is wonderfully water repellent, and the reflective stripe really shines at night!
- Color is bright, and the overall look is cute.
- Good fit and easy to put on and take off design
- Perfect for those cool, rainy days.
- Not warm enough for very cold areas. If it’s below 45 degrees, this coat isn’t enough to keep them warm.
- Harness hole is tiny and not sewn very well.
Best for Active Dogs: MIGOHI Reflective Waterproof Windproof Dog Coat
Exquisite Workmanship makes you choose MIGOHI Dog Coats. With the exterior waterproof terylene material, the interior fleece, and cotton, this dog fleece jacket will be splashproof, windproof, and snowproof, keeping your lovely pet warm in the cold weather.
- Zipper opening.
- Magic sticker fastening.
- Elasticated leg straps.
- Reflective edge tape.
- Easy to put on and take off.
- Package Dimensions : 11 x 6.4 x 2.4 inches; 3.21 Ounces
- This jacket has a fleece lining on the underside, and it’s sooooo soft!
- The velcro is sturdy and made well and doesn’t just unhinge at the slightest twist/turn or when he lays down.
- The zippered hole placement accommodates the use of a harness worn under the vest instead of a collar.
- Perfect for light snow and rain!
- There are elastic bands for the hind legs to go through that keep the vest correctly placed on the dog.
- These elastics are optional to use & are not in the way whatsoever if not in use.
- The back straps go under his back legs, and it’s an elastic type strap that could irritate his skin uncomfortable.
Tips to Help You Select the Best Winter Coat for Your Bulldog
How to Measure the Size of a Dog?
- Neck: Measure around the neck, putting out an extra 0.5 inches! If your dog is developing, you can probably put in an additional 1 inch or so.
- Chest: Specifically, the circumference of the widest part of their front legs at the root of the girth, and usually the fattest part of your pet, is typically measured to put out at least 1 inch more or so. You can choose to let the dog eat and then measured it so that the state of the measured data is more accurate.
- Length: Here refers to the length from the shoulder (both sides of the shoulder blades close together, not the usual collar worn position) to the root of the tail. In measuring the length of the body, be sure to let your pet stand up straight, the body fully spread, not lying down or lying down.
What To Look For In a Dog Coat?
- Style and color: The material is the most critical factor in determining whether a dog feels comfortable wearing coats. The style and color is the first impression a piece of clothing conveys to the outside world, and whether it looks good or not is also the first criterion many owners use when choosing coats for their pets. I think this criterion is reasonable – let’s face it! Coats that don’t look good are not worth buying, even if the artistry and materials are good. What style of coat does your dog like?
- Warmth factor and coverage: How warm a coat should depend on where you live and the type of coat you choose. Another coat with a hood, a coat with sleeves, a cotton coat, a fleece coat, etc. If your dog is challenged by the cold, then you need a coat that provides enough insulation to protect your dog from freezing temperatures.
- Waterproof: You want your pup to stay dry in snowy or rainy conditions. Otherwise, what’s the point of him wearing a coat.
- Durable: If your dog likes to walk through bushes, you need a durable coat that won’t rip or tear easily.
- Easy to put on and take off: A easy and quick coat to put on is an option worth considering. You must not like to wrestle with him. Usually, the best coat is one that goes over the head and is secured at the side.
- Harness/leash access: If your dog’s neck can’t handle the pressure from the collar, an opening in the back of the jacket is needed to secure the leash.
- Reflective: A coat with reflective strips is an added safety feature when walking at night.
- Machine washable: No one wants to wash clothes by hand, and dog coats can sometimes get dirty, especially if your dog gets involved in something. You’ll want one that’s machine washable.