Cancer is the one word that most dog owners always have on their minds. And if it isn’t, it should be…for a good reason. Statistics for dog cancer are frightening. Research indicates that cancer is the leading cause of death in dogs over the age of 10.
At any time, 50 % of older dogs will get cancer, while 1 in 4 will die from it. Yet, the good news is people find some alternative treatments. CBD oil for dogs with cancer is a popular alternative treatment. Because humans generally use CBD to treat their cancer and other illnesses.
But what exactly is CBD, and how can it help your dog? Let’s discuss this in this article.
What is CBD Oil?
CBD stands for cannabidiol, is a compound found in the Cannabis Sativa plant. Cannabidiol was first isolated from hemp oil in 1940. The oil part is extracting from the hemp plant. It has little to no THC (tetrahydrocannabinol) in it, which is why it is so suitable for dogs.
What Are the Benefits of CBD?
Before we begin, you should know that CBD does not, in any way, cure cancer. However, CBD oil is a go-to choice by many pet parents for several reasons. Here are some of them:
- Treating pain, they have long using to treat pain in dogs from illnesses or other muscular injuries. Thus, it makes sense that it is using for more threatening illnesses such as cancer.
- CBD oil is mixing with the dog’s endocannabinoid system and helps manage different types of pain. Research conducted by David MP indicates that CBD can stop harmful cell growth. Although the study does not focus on dogs, concluding that CBD oil is an excellent choice to beat cancer in dogs.
- Some studies also concluded that CBD could lead to a process called cancer apoptosis. This means death in cancer cells. While CBD does not cut tumors, it stops them from growing by cutting off the nutrients.
- Reduce anxiety and depression, anxiety and depression are common mental health disorders. CBD oil shows promise as a treatment for depression and anxiety. CBD has also shown antidepressant-like effects in several animal studies. These qualities are related to the ability of CBD to act on brain receptors for serotonin, a neurotransmitter that regulates mood and social behavior.
- Furthermore, CBD has properties to counter the negative symptoms that cancer causes. Just as cancer causes loss of appetite in humans, it does the same in dogs. CBD can rebuild your dog’s hunger and ensures that they have the energy and the strength to go about their day while fighting cancer.
- Another reason why CBD oil for dogs with cancer is a good choice is that it reduces inflammation. Cancer leads to inflammation, which causes joint pain and aches. Furthermore, it also leads to arthritis, which can make it difficult for your dog to walk. Yet, with CBD, these symptoms can be countered, and your dog can live a relatively peaceful life.
- Cancer in dogs results in seizures. If you have never seen them, it can be pretty scary. CBD is a promising compound that helps to counter the duration and number of seizures. If your dog has cancer accompanied by seizures, this alone could be a good reason to turn to CBD.
Fact of CBD
There is much left to explore on CBD oil for dogs and whether it is a good fit. Now, Conventional medicine can cost anywhere between $3000 and $10,000. And involve several painful side effects such as vomiting and appetite loss. CBD oil seems a safe and inexpensive alternative for pain.
Little wonder, then, that pet parents are resorting to managing cancer symptoms with CBD.
Risks of Using CBD for Dogs with Cancer
There are not so many risks in giving CBD to dogs. Research on healthy dogs indicated that dogs tolerated CBD oil very well, even when the dose was escalated. Even in sick dogs, the risks prove to be minimal.
Most risks are attributed to the lack of regulation surrounding CBD products. As a result of the lack of regulation, some market products have not been adequately tested and contain negligible quantities of CBD. It also has higher levels of THC than you expect. Essentially, this might get your dog high.
Hemp Oil Vs. CBD Oil
Several people turn to hemp oil to manage their dogs’ symptoms. But here’s the question. What exactly is hemp oil, and how is it better? Well, let’s take a look.
What is Hemp Oil?
For starters, it is a non-psychoactive component that is extracting from the seeds of hemp plants. When the seeds squeezing, they secrete oil, full of Omega-6 and Omega-3 essential fatty acids, GLA and Omega-9.
Besides, hemp oil has a good collection of proteins and amino acids. Also, while it is suitable for reducing joint pain and boosting immune system function, unlike CBD oil, the benefits are only nutritional.
So, Which One Should You Opt For?
The short answer is, it depends. For painful conditions such as arthritis, hemp seed oil is said to manage it more effectively, while CBD oil is considered a remedy. When it comes to managing pains, both oils have their strengths.
On the other hand, CBD can be used for more severe problems such as aches and pains and is usually combined with other medications.
A dog is like a family member, and watching it suffer can cause your heart to break. Therefore, it’s all the more important to alleviate its pain and suffering. According to the American Veterinary Medical Association, “under current federal and state law, veterinarians may not administer, dispense, prescribe or recommend cannabis or its products for animals.”.
So instead of going in blindly, you should do your research and pick out the best CBD oil for dogs with cancer. You can do this by looking at the reviews and testing a small amount to ensure the product is what it claims. As for the dose, you should read the dose requirements on the bottle and administer accordingly.
Don’t forget to leave your questions below the comments at the end of the article. If you found this article useful and interesting, please don’t forget to share it with your friends and family.